Agricultural energy audits provide a foundation for energy management and prioritize energy saving opportunities based on their cost effectiveness. Our audits typically identify opportunities to reduce current energy use by between 10% and 35%. When making a business decision such as upgrading equipment, an agricultural energy audit provides information to maximize the return on investment.
Agricultural Energy Audit
Our agricultural energy audit analyzes current energy use based on utility bills and operational information and includes detailed recommendations for improving energy efficiency. Because each farm is unique, our audits are customized to meet each farm’s individual needs.
With over 20 years’ experience, EnSave has helped set the standard for agricultural energy audits, and served on the team to create the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers’ Standard 612: Performing On-Farm Energy Audits.
Our engineers and Certified Energy Managers have completed over 3,000 agricultural energy audits for all type of agricultural production. Our audits are often used to support applications for federal financial assistance programs such as the USDA Rural Development Rural Energy for America Program (REAP), which can fund up to 25% of energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, and the USDA NRCS Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), which provides financial assistance for energy efficiency upgrades.
Our agricultural energy audits follow a five-step process:
- We conduct an initial phone interview to gather preliminary information and explain what to expect from the energy audit process.
- We dispatch a local energy data collector to visit the farm to verify and collect information about energy use. We have trained over 300 data collectors throughout the United States.
- Our engineers complete a thorough data analysis, including an analysis of the farm’s utility history to determine where the energy is being used. We review all fuels used on the farm.
- We deliver a clear and concise narrative energy audit report including recommendations for conservation and efficiency measures and payback period for each measure.
- An EnSave energy analyst follows up with the farmer to answer questions, review the energy audit’s recommendations, and discuss opportunities for implementation.
EnSave is certified as a Technical Service Provider with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to provide Agricultural Energy Management Plans (AgEMP: Conservation Activity Plan (CAP) 128) in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
The sample audits below meet the criteria of an AgEMP as well as the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers’ Standard 612: Performing On-Farm Energy Audits.
Sample Dairy Audit
Please click here to download a sample dairy audit.
Sample Poultry Audit
Please click here to download a sample poultry audit.
If you’d like to have EnSave perform agricultural energy auditing for your farm operation, please call (800) 732-1399 or contact us online.